Thursday 27 April 2017

V is for Vigorous...A-Z Challenge 2017

My theme for the 2017 challenge is waffling on about random words!

That might not seem like a theme but if you read on you’ll discover it’s not quite as random as it sounds.  The words were generated using a word generator (https://randomwordgenerator.com/) and I opted for 4 words each day.  I might focus on one or try and incorporate them all into the post.

Choosing the words this way has given me a challenge and a common thread to my posts but it has also allowed me to be myself and just waffle!  It’s what I’m good at.  (Don’t worry, I’m aiming for around 500 words per post so hopefully you won’t get stuck here for too long 😉)

And the words for today are….

Vigorous
Velvet
Veil
Visit 

Well I need to be vigorous in my typing as I have 9 minutes to get this posted on the correct day.

When I think of velvet I tend to think of heavy velvet curtains.  The sort that keep draughts out and heat in.  I could do with some of those at the front of my house.  We face a large open space so when it is windy the house feels very draughty.  We don't have double glazing and we don't have a porch.  I'd like to get a porch added but hubby feels it will spoil the character of the house.  He's right about that but character doesn't keep the house draught free.  

We're working our way through redecorating the house.  When we get to the hall and stairs I will definitely be looking at installing a curtain behind the front door for the winter months.  Hopefully that won't upset hubby and it will help.

It's strange because hubby wants to keep the character of the house yet he hates a lot of the ancient traditions we still adhere to in the UK.  Especially things to do with the monarchy or parliament.  Fortunately he was happy to have a traditional church wedding (coming from a large Catholic family I think he would have found it hard to do otherwise!) so I had the full white dress, complete with underskirt and hoop (yes going to the loo was difficult) and of course a veil.  The dress was subsequently put to good use because I made a christening gown out of it which all three of our children wore.  The boys were too young to complain about wearing a dress. 

Oops midnight has just passed so technically this post is now late.  I guess I could always claim I wrote it during a visit to somewhere in a later time zone but I'm not sure anyone would believe me.  Timekeeping is not my strongpoint right now.  But at least I wasn't late for my wedding as my hubby was despite only being a 2 minute walk from the church.  Naturally I've never let him forget that one! 

If you're married did you have a traditional wedding outfit?  What's your timekeeping like?

3 comments:

  1. Excellent V words! I can't believe we are nearly done with April and the A-Z. You are nearly done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the boys in my family wore christening dresses. That was a good idea, recycling the cloth in your wedding gown. I remember Mom's just sat in the closet and eventually we threw it out after she died. I think she was keeping it for the daughter she never had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post had had me giggling into my cuppa. Loved it.,

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.