Friday 8 July 2016

Friday Five News 8/7/16



Well in LOCAL news this week at least we know that our next Prime Minister will be a woman!  We don’t know much else though.  Boris Johnson and now Nigel Farage (thank goodness) have dodged the whole EU fall out and Jeremy Corbyn still hangs on by a thread.  We’ve been spared the prospect of Michael Gove though but his successor at the Department of Education, Nicky Morgan, is still pushing for Amanda Spielman to be the next head of Ofsted despite a cross party committee of MPs having “significant concerns”.  You would surely think the candidate should have some teaching experience.  Watch this space for another U turn.

I’m placing the Chilcot Report into INTERNATIONAL news as although it is about the UK and our soldiers it is of course about the war in Iraq.  This report has been a long time coming and it is very lengthy.  The families of those who lost loved ones during the war are now considering their next steps.  We certainly won’t have heard the last of this for some time to come.

The leader of the Green Party commented that she had a copy on her desk and would be aiming to read it carefully.  One response was shouldn’t she have it in an electronic form.  Personally I think trying to digest the contents of such a lengthy report requires a hard copy, particularly when members of the public are baying for Tony Blair’s blood and wanting him to be charged with war crimes.

In SPORT I don’t need to cling on to my Welsh roots anymore as Wales have been knocked out of the EUROS.  Only another couple of days and that will all be over for another 4 years although as we discussed at dinner last night, the new football season will soon be upon us.  But Wales deserved their welcome home celebrations.  They did us proud, unlike their England counterparts but I do wish Gareth Bale would do something about his hair!

Under ENTERTAINMENT I bring you the sad news that the next series of Game of Thrones will be delayed due to waiting for the right weather conditions when filming.  Actually I couldn’t care less having never seen a single episode of it or read the books.  Oh and more bad news, there are only two series left for filming and they won’t be as long.  Sorry if I just spoilt your weekend.

For MISCELLANEOUS  I’ve opted for this BBC Magazine article which lists Non-Brexit stories we might have missed including the birth of a baby panda, Iceland electing a new President (despite most of their voters being at the Euros???) and 72 new emojis being introduced.  Hopefully a bit of light relief after all the doom and gloom.

All links are courtesy of the BBC website. Opinions are my own.

Have a great weekend.

9 comments:

  1. I have never seen a single episode of Game of Thrones either. I don't even know what the hype is all about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me. I usually prefer to read the book before watching the TV adaptation but I'm not sure I want to do either with GOT.

      Delete
  2. Great round up of the news this week. Maybe I should take a bet on how much longer Corbyn can hang on in there. Head of Ofsted with no teaching experience whatsoever. That just says it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corbyn seems determined to hang on. Watched him on the Andrew Marr show this morning and he was showing no signs of giving up.

      Delete
  3. I have never seen Thrones either...oh, wait, I tried once...just couldn't get into it, I like the Barbarians.

    I saw that about your news...I wonder which woman it is going to be? (lol---at your Farage comment--I rather liked his spunk)

    Have a beautiful weekend, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also don't watch Game of Thrones, but wonder about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes indeed, now you have a Teresa May ! I don't know what to think about her, the only positive point is that she is a woman, women have more sense then men that changes a bit ! Now she talks a lot but before starting work and after are two different things, lol !

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.