Saturday 2 July 2016

Friday Five News 1/7/16



A day late due to a trip to Nottingham yesterday but here's my take on this week's news:                    
Unfortunately LOCAL* news continues to revolve around the continued fallout following the EU referendum.  If nothing else I think it has got people thinking more about politics.  It certainly is revolving though as yesterday, despite many examples being quoted of how he has always maintained he is not the right person for the job, Justice Minister Michael Gove, announced he was standing for leader of the Conservative party and thus Prime Minister.  In an amazing, seemingly backstabbing turn of events, he denounced Boris Johnson and gave journalists a field day.  Especially when later the same morning, not long before the deadline for nominations, the expected speech from Boris Johnson announcing his candidacy became an announcement that he was NOT standing.  It’s not hard to see how they got the inspiration for House of Cards.  Heaven help us! *The link is to clips of Gove’s denials in case you’re in need of a laugh.

INTERNATIONAL news is equally depressing following the attack at Istanbul’s airport this week and other atrocities going on throughout the world.  Yesterday marked the centenary of the Battle of the Somme, a WW1 battle where so many young men lost their lives, on both sides of the war.  I heard a comment somewhere that we shouldn’t celebrate these events.  Celebration is the wrong word.  We are commemorating (to remember officially and give respect to a great person or event, especially by a public ceremony) these events.  We need to remember the horrors of war so that we continually strive to prevent or curtail them.  

At least SPORT gave us some good news with Wales gaining a brilliant victory over Belgium to reach the semi-finals of the EUROs.  Did I mention I can claim Welsh roots through my Dad?  Well I’m claiming them now!

I mentioned last week that I have no desires to attend Glastonbury and when you have the opportunity to watch so much of it online or on TV my opinion on that hasn’t changed, although having watched the interaction between Adele and the crowds I do get why people rave about it.  If you get the time do check out the BBC site’s coverage of it.  This link is to the clips of Adele and it’s definitely ENTERTAINMENT (I watched the full video of her performance which was great even allowing for her self-described “potty” mouth.)

For a MISCELLANEOUS  article I opted to check out the BBC’s “10 Things we didn’t know last week” section.  It usually has something to catch the eye.  One relevant to me was the report that listening to Mozart can reduce your blood pressure as much as cutting salt from your diet. The researchers concluded that to be of benefit, music must be; in a pleasant key, of skilful composition, have a consistent volume and rhythm, devoid of rousing sequences, have no lyrics, and have achieved a certain degree of fame and popularity.”
I think I should just stick to no salt.

All links are courtesy of the BBC website. Opinions are my own.

Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, def. a House of Cards, when we saw that about Boris Johnson we all went, WHATTTT. (lol--see, your news affects us too, LOL)--At least the stock market has rebounded...and not sure what to say about that.

    I agree about the international news...I have no idea about your football---that isn't my thing---I think my son watches it. I like Adele, sans her potty mouth, what's up with that? AND lastly, I loveeeeeee Mozart and classical music and I agree with that, lol.

    Have a joful weekend, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Friday posts are always interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.