Thursday 21 April 2016

Book Review - The Girl in the Red Coat - Kate Hamer

The Girl in the Red CoatThe Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This was a book club choice and although I didn't dislike it I wasn't totally gripped by it. The Amazon description of it is:

"Carmel Wakeford becomes separated from her mother at a local children's festival, and is found by a man who claims to be her estranged grandfather. He tells her that her mother has had an accident and that she is to live with him for now. As days become weeks with her new family, 8-year-old Carmel realises that this man believes she has a special gift...

While her mother desperately tries to find her, Carmel embarks on an extraordinary journey, one that will make her question who she is - and who she might become."

The book is told from different POVs and unfortunately glosses over several things. The ending was also, in my opinion, rushed.

I've found that with a few books lately, it's as if the author has been set a word count that will be acceptable for the novel and once they reach that threshold they want to just get the book finished and published and the ending of the story feels almost abridged.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I've read a few lately that seemed a but rushed too. The one I am reading now has had so many errors in it....Kindle edition. Duplicate words, wrong punctuation. Amazing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read when a book is truly 'gripping' me. Otherwise it seems such a chore!!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.