Wednesday 8 July 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge 8/7/15



Wednesday's Hodgepodge is brought to us courtesy of Joyce at 

Pop over there to see other posts and if you want to join in add your blog post to the Linky List at the end of Joyce's post.

Have fun and don't forget to visit the other participants if you can.

1.  When did you last 'swim against the tide'? Explain. 

Before I left my job I felt like I was swimming against the tide.  Whatever most of us were doing wasn’t good enough for the new boss.  I was working over my hours and doing my best but it never seemed enough.
 
2.  What's the last self-help or self-improvement book you read?

Haven’t read any of those type of books recently but read several handouts when I had a course of therapy recently on such things as coping with stress, dealing with depression etc.
 
3.  "Tolerance is a tremendous virtue, but the immediate neighbours of tolerance are apathy and weakness." (Sir James Goldsmith) Agree or disagree? Discuss. With civility please, because I think we have a good thing going in our very diverse (in geography, age, religion, political persuasion, ethnicity, marital status, upbringing, and cooking abilities) neighbourhood here on This Side of the Pond.

I can agree that tolerance is a tremendous virtue but I’m not sure that its neighbours are apathy or weakness.  I think if people are not tolerant they are more likely to be outspoken.
I hate intolerance.  My daughter is gay.  I know that would be difficult for some people to come to terms with.  When she came out to me it wasn’t something I was expecting.  I had little time to prepare my response but what was immediately clear to me was that her announcement hadn’t changed who she was.  She was still the same person that I know and love and that’s what I told her.  In October she will marry the love of her life and I will be there as the proud Mother of one of the brides. 

4. What is one of your most vivid memories of the kitchen from your childhood?  

I have memories of my mother doing the washing using a twin tub washing machine.  How hard that was compared to the automatic washing machines we have now but how easy my mother thought it was compared with a scrubbing board and spin dryer.  I also remember my Dad baking apple and blackberry pies after we’d been blackberry picking in the nearby forest.  Or decorating celebration cakes – he was a good cook and would often make cakes for family members.  I also remember him cooking beetroot.  That’s a smell I won’t forget.

5. How did/do your own children's summers compare with your summers as a child? If you're not a parent, answer as it relates to what you've observed about the current generation of children vs. your own childhood.

We had a lot more freedom as children.  We had friends on the street and we would be in and out of each other’s houses or just out on the street on our scooters and roller skates.  We didn’t have the electronic games devices that kids these days have.  We relied more on our own imaginations and things to hand.

6. Tell us what body of water you would most like to be on or near today, and why?   

I would just like to be near the sea, any sea.  I like spending time at the coast just walking along the beach or on coastal paths.  I’m not a boat person though so just looking at the water is good enough for me.

7.  Share a favourite song about water, or a favourite song with the word water in its title, or a favourite song to listen to as you sit beside the water.  Simon & Garfunkel’s “Bridge over troubled water”


8. Insert your own random thought here.

I have an extended family member who has been diagnosed with cancer.  So far they are coping brilliantly – they are being really positive and a great example.  It puts a lot of perspective on some of the issues we have in our own lives.  I hope if I am ever in the same situation I can cope as well.

12 comments:

  1. It is amazing how our perspectives can change when we hear what others are facing. My daughters lost a sweet friend this week, completely out of the blue and just heartbreaking. The news made me want to love better and worry less about the unimportant. We never know what a day will bring. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always amazing to me when people get that diagnosis & handle it so valiantly.

    You said roller skating too. YES! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your family member. It's amazing to see how strong people can be. All the best for a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are always such good questions and I enjoy reading your answers.

    I had a twin tub when we were first married and I loved it! I agree our automatics are easier and take up less of our time but there was a certain satisfaction in using the twin tub and moving it from the washer to the spinner. Maybe I'm just weird but I quite miss it!

    Your Dad made my engagement cake in that kitchen.

    Let's not forget the famous Yorkshire puddings that were made in there too. Mine don't even come close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think our perspectives on tolerance and intolerance are based on our own personal stories. It is a shame we have to spend so much time thinking about it instead of just loving everyone. But, since Biblical times, there has been intolerance. I doubt it will go away. The kitchen of your childhood must have smelled amazing. I, too, love the sea. And here I am in land-locked Kansas. Happy Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a terrible feeling to work hard and it never be good enough. I am glad we don't have to use scrub boards anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like we could all use some help with stress and dealing with depression. ((Hugs)) Love your answer to #3. My brother is gay and my SIL is gay. She married her partner of 30 something years in California about 20 months ago. My husband and I were their witnesses. When Facebook blew up about the rights for gays to marry all I could think about it that these people must not have a loved one who is gay! We hope to take a beach trip this Fall so we can walk each day along the ocean. I don't care to go in or lay in the sand. Great song choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Wendy,
    Sending love and prayers.
    Life can change in a moment. We had a death 2 weeks ago, it took us by great surprise. Not ready for it at all.

    xx oo
    Sending a HUG,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you sent me your blog address so I can visit your blog :) I enjoyed reading your answers.
    I SO admire people who can handle difficult life situations positively, and with grace and dignity. It's definitely not an easy thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always wanted a neighborhood where my kids could run around with kids, visiting each others houses, where everyone was friendly and knew each other. When we first moved here there were just 3 of us with kids, but we had JUST that...and then everyone else moved away. :sigh: With people moving around more, it's to be expected.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best wishes to your daughter and her fiancee -- congratulations to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came to check out your blog after you visited mine, and I have to say that these Wednesday Hodgepodge posts are some of my favorite. I love reading the random facts that make up your life. And I love the song "Bridge Over Troubled Waters"! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.