Tuesday 14 April 2015

A - Z Challenge - L is for Love



My theme for this challenge is family and relations.

Love “a strong feeling of attachment, tenderness and protectiveness for another person”

Be warned this post could get a bit sentimental and gooey so switch blogs now if you find that all too mushy.

I love my husband.  Even after almost 31 years of marriage I can still turn around and spontaneously tell him so.  Considering our first few “dates” were a bit weird that’s a huge achievement.  When did I know I loved him?  No idea.  There wasn’t a light bulb moment.  It wasn’t lust at first sight which I think is what most people experience when they claim love at first sight.  It just crept up on me.  Like ivy, there were a few tendrils weaving their way around and then suddenly I was trapped and caught up in this dense forest with no escape.

Hmm not the best analogy.  Or even particularly romantic.  But he’s not hugely romantic, although he does remember things like birthdays and anniversaries and I do get flowers quite often.  He’s just not into big gestures.  I’m not likely to see my name floating across the sky behind a plane or anything like that.  Of course that’s a good thing as I would be so embarrassed.

There wasn’t even a grand gesture of a proposal more of a joint discussion.  But that’s one of our strong points.  We talk, to one another.  About the little things and the big things.  We plan together.  We don’t always see eye to eye and we have very different tastes and interests but again that means we don’t drive each other mad by living in each other’s pockets.  Hopefully that will mean that when we are retired and around each other much more we will be able to make that a successful transition.

He is my rock but I hope that I’m independent enough to be able to cope if and when anything happens to him.  I couldn’t imagine trying to find a substitute.  He is determined that he has to die first as he’s hopeless with new technology and can be a “grumpy old man” about some things and couldn’t cope without me.  I reassure him by telling him the kids will take care of him if he outlives me.  I know they would although they would probably find him very frustrating at times.

I find him frustrating at times. He can be pedantic.  His hearing is not as good as it was but he refuses to do anything about it.  Plus he snores.  I think I’ve already mentioned he snores.  Except of course mostly now he doesn’t thanks to the CPAP machine.  Something I never thought he would persevere with but he has.

He’s also kind and generous, sociable, caring and very supportive.  He is my best friend.  I consider myself extremely fortunate to have found him and so I often find myself still turning to him and saying, “I love you.”

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful blog and not one bit mushy.

    Funny how there are so many similarities in our lives. I also do not recall when exactly I knew I loved Simon. I also didn't get a grand romantic proposal, but like you a sort of mutual agreement after some talking!

    Nor is Simon romantic. He does still usually remember birthdays but as his memory seems to be getting worse I may have to start reminding him!

    He can be difficult and lacks patience but we get over it .... eventually.

    I think his retiremnet will bring some changes and we will need new routines but hopefully we will survive!

    A friend of Coralies whose OH retired about 3 months ago just told her "We have been married 38 years, right now I don't know if we will make 39"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a beautiful post. I've been with my wife for six years (married for five) so a long way behind you and your husband but I hope we remain just as happy in the years to come.

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.